Sunday, January 9, 2011

Today is just the beginning!!

It has been an ambition of mine for a long time, to create a blog.  I have wanted to share my angel with you.  You may not know her yet, so I will start by telling you, she has Autism.  What I hope to accomplish is offering a whole new perspective on Autism. There are many sites about Autism and I often feel, most of what we read is the hard stuff.... This new face, I hope will inspire you. She makes me smile, she makes me cry. She is so amazing.  She has more to teach me, then I could ever teach her.  That face, that smile, that love is so real and amazing.  I finally learned, there really is unconditional love.  How did I get so fortunate to experience this?  Now, I must pass this on to you.

I don't believe Autism is an illness, maybe it's a gift.  Autism is beautiful and different.  In the beginning of this blog, I need to say, if it wasn't for the people who are a part of our lives, I may not be so fortunate.  Thank you to our friends & family, my mentor and lovely friend, Sue and to God for showing us that we have the most beautiful gift.

It's hard to find out that your only daughter, your only child, has a permanent disability. The part that isn't permanent - the "dis"!!  She has soooooo much ability. Okay, so she doesn't do what other kids do, I know. And, she is still in diapers, I know. Fine, you are breaking me down here, she has limited receptive and expressive communication too.  But, when she looks up at me, when she smiles, when she laughs, I believe there is a heaven in her.  I see an entire story, just in her eyes.  She doesn't have to talk to give me that.  And, if she is still in diapers, it is what it is.  I suppose we will have to "get over it".  I will look into her eyes and overlook the diaper.  When our society begins to do this with me, we will all gain from it. 


I want to tell the world how she had 14 kids that WANTED to come to her birthday party.  Gotta love all of them for wanting to be a part.  What's the big deal?  You will see.   

I remember the day we received Alyssa's diagnosis. I was trapped, I cried for 5 days straight, to no avail. Eventually, I had to decide "what are you gonna do about it".  I want to celebrate her!! 
And, each of us has a choice... what we are gonna do with it?  Does it still make me sad? Yes. Does it still make me mad? Sure. Do I pity myself? Not anymore.  Do I cry? Absolutely!!  Do I get frustrated? Well, you probably know the answer to that... LOL  By the way, I am very, very human!  Ha!

To all of you who join our journey, please know, it may not be perfect. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Tiffany! You're so sweet. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you in blog land! Your little girl is absolutely gorgeous! Love her dimples! :)
    xoxo, Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you say that you can see an entire story in her eyes. Your beautiful words bring tears to my eyes and are tremendously inspirational. I praise you and am proud to have you as a dear friend. The main photograph is so incredible that I would blow it up to poster-size!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang, love the blog that you have started. You are amazing and your daughter is as well. I'm so glad for you to follow through with this because it will get around and it will help others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete