Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blind Sight

My sharing is intended to bring you into the experience, our experience, with all factors.  This includes the medical treatments, therapy, social life, educational aspects, etc.  Last week, I shared some of the harder stuff we have dealt with.  It is very important for you to know…. the hard stuff is directly related to what has brought us to the good stuff!!  And, there is more good stuff and success to come!!

For years, I have been a person who likes to “wear the blinders”, so to speak.  In my younger years, the blinders protected me, by allowing me to ignore and/or avoid certain situations.  This can really get a person into trouble.  Escaping reality doesn’t help a person deal with life and its issues.  When you have a child with Autism, you have to be aware, at all times, and looking in every direction!  It’s almost like being on a freeway with no median.  You need to develop the peripheral vision, long distance vision and be able to see what is happening right in front of you and side to side.  I am quite blessed to have my friend Sue, who for years, has peeled off my blinders, from the second she took sight of them, as I tried to put them on.  Who knew, her years of peeling away the blinders, were actually years of preparing me for today?  I didn’t used to like taking on the issues head on, but now prefer it.  The alternative, when not dealing with things appropriately, always seems to mean, someone is going to sacrifice.  If I allow it, Alyssa would be the one to make the sacrifices!  As you know, I cannot allow that, now or ever!        

At times, it is easier to put the blinders on, than to deal with certain things.  Dealing with the truth or reality can sometimes be extremely difficult and painful.  When I share the harder side of our life with Alyssa, my intention is nothing more, than to bring honesty in front of my readers, so they too can understand what it is like to have a child with special needs, bringing the blindness to sight.  Last week, many people sent me personal emails, Facebook messages and wrote on the blog too.  I greatly appreciate your participation and feedback.  Thank you!  You give me strength!

I intend to continue to share all sides of our experience and I invite you to continue to participate and share this with others.  Together, I hope we can all learn from one another and give Alyssa faith, hope, trust, love, encouragement and all the other things she will need to confidently succeed.  I enjoy including stories about experiences we have had.  Alyssa is so much fun.  She smiles constantly.  She is genuinely happy.  We all impact her.  I hope you will join me, encouraging Alyssa, and placing yourself, on the side of impacting her, positively!!!

Thank you for reading and have a great week!  Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment