Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Breaks and Thanks


This last month has been wonderful and refreshing.  I have to mention this because there are times I may disclose difficulty, in the blog or otherwise, without the mention, of the other… the magnificent!  I feel the need to tell you about some of the people in our life who have made a difference for us. 

It had been a very long time, since I/we had our last break, so I want to say thanks to some of the loveliest people in our life, as they helped us, and/or me, “break even” in the scheme of daily life.  It’s hard to explain daily life in our home, at times.  When you are caught up in all the moments, you can lose track of what is keeping you sustained, happy, healthy and thankful.  I can only say, all of you, everyone we know, you all ROCK!  As we approach Thanksgiving, it seems more than appropriate to make sure the “rocks” in our life know they have impacted us….. 

Last month my fabulous, sweet, friend, Hillary, who I love dearly, included me on a girl trip to Santa Fe, NM.  We had an incredible time.  This was a trip without kids, just moms.  I would never have had this opportunity if it wasn’t for Hillary.  I can only share my gratitude, as I really needed some down time; the break was golden.  My husband stayed home with Alyssa, so this could happen; so sweet!  The group of moms on this trip were the best EVER and I hope to be able to encounter them all again; they all made a difference in my life.  Great thanks from me, to all of you!

This last Friday, my husband and I scooted away for a night out, while Rachel, one of the most fantastic and wonderful friends in my life, came to my home and hung with Alyssa.  We had received a gift certificate for a one night stay at a local hotel from our friend, Cindy, who is a beautiful lady, with an amazing heart, one of the loveliest people.  It was beyond superb to take a bit of down time.  This break was only possible because of these two exceptional ladies!! 

Breaks can help put us back on top of our game, when everything else happening may feel overwhelming or difficult.  These breaks have helped me, personally, come to a better place.  When having a child with special needs, breaks can be rare, even extinct, making my appreciation that much greater.  As some of you know, I run a program for families who have children with special needs.  The kids who participate in this program come and play, while their parents scoot away.  I love this program even more now.  I have been reminded why I do this program and what a difference it can make to a family, to have a little break.  I am glad I can do this for others and I am extremely thankful for those who have extended their graciousness to us.

My feeling of thanks isn’t limited to those who have created opportunity for breaks for me and my family.  My feeling of thanks extends way beyond that.  This past year has been full of challenges and there are so many people who have helped us through the day, week and year.  My friend Sue is always there to check in and make sure I am not losing my noggin.  Sue has been there beyond the call of friends.  She has helped us through some of our most difficult challenges, without judgment, full of love.  Then, there is our family, who all live in other states, yet they do their best to check in with us, offering a sense of connection and a wishing they could be here more.  Our connections, near or far, make us more complete.

There are so many, so many, exceptional people in our lives.  Kristina and Brooke sustain my sanity and try to keep me healthy.  They both “fill me” with more than I can explain; I am loved and I love them.  Laura motivates me and nurtures our long friendship, a friendship that runs like a river… It’s deep, real, with life’s most wonderful and difficult moments, enchanting and ever flowing; Laura brings me into my own and reminds me how genuine and beautiful friendship is.  Joy lives thousands of miles away and doesn’t let space be a barrier to our friendship – she is fabulous.  Regina makes me laugh a ton and her experiences encourage me to want more.  Who else, who else?  Oh yes, all of you!  It’s hard doing a writing like this because I could go on and on.  Let me just say – YOU ALL COMPLETE ME!         

If you weren’t mentioned, by name, you are not left out, you are the best, for being here for me (us), then and now.  It’s not what you do!  It’s all about recognizing that you all have taken me (us) through, to here, to now, to a better place and I love you!  You all have kept us going and we are not the same without each and every one of you. 

I am reminded; we are all in this together.  Where would we be without each other?  For us… nowhere, without you!  We all have stuff – is that fair to say?  With the extraordinary people in our lives, “stuff” seems a bit easier.  Our love, our thanks!

Thank you for reading.  Have a great week.  Angie

2 comments:

  1. Angie, we are thankful for the amazing impact you have on all of our lives as well. We are extremely thankful for God watching over you during your surgery this week and we will continue to share our love with you and Greg and Alyssa as you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, we definitely all missed your post yesterday, and realize you are sharing your love for Alyssa and all of us by your determination and strength to fight the battle that has been placed in front of you, even though you aren't expressing it in words on your blog this week. Last Friday, on 11.11.11, I heard "We are the champions, my friends. And we'll keep on fighting, till the end" on the radio and was singing it at the top of my lungs, thinking of you going into surgery, knowing that you are a champion and that you are fighting....and you are not fighting alone...all of us are fighting right along side you...and Alyssa and Greg.

    Hugs! Beth

    ReplyDelete