Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Surely Typical


As I look at my angel, I see how typical she is, more and more each day.  On the first day of school, she fussed over getting up earlier and starting her day in formation; whereas, during the summer, she was able to go at her own pace.  It was kind of funny.  I went into her room and said, “It’s time to get up sleepy head, time to get ready for school.”  She jerked her covers up and over her head in complete objection!  I smiled and laughed because years ago I remember waking one of my sisters kids for school and getting much of the same reaction.  It took a good solid 10 minutes to coax Alyssa out of her comfy bed and into school clothes.  She continued with her objection by pushing her breakfast away, as if she was telling me, “who could eat this early!” 

Parents ask their children to wait, to ask for something, until they are done on the phone.  Many parents ask their children not to interrupt, as a lesson of waiting, patience and manners.  Funny to me, I am on the phone and Alyssa does the same thing.  She will continue to break into my conversations, until she reaches the outcome she desires.  She didn’t seem hungry before I got on the phone, but from the second I began to talk, she was starving, just starving.  At first, I told her to wait a moment.  I was planning to make the call very quick anyhow.  She gives me a few moments, and then decides she has to take this matter into her own hands.  She uncrosses my legs and pulls me to the fridge.  No phone call is going to stop her desire to eat (or for attention).  This gives me a good giggle.  If anyone has some helpful tips on these types of manner lessons, I am listening!    

When we go to the grocery store, Alyssa is not shy about reaching out for the things she likes.  Why must they put all the gum near the register?  The person who designed check out lines must not have had kids.  Haha!  It takes a lot of self control in the grocery store, even for me!  When I see Alyssa’s eyes light up, I quickly scan to see what she is going for.  Sometimes, I can see what she is showing interest in and initiate giving it to her, so it looks like my idea, of course.  If she demands it, I am not supposed to give in.  If I give it to her before she asks for it, it’s more like a reward for good behavior.  Always need to be one step ahead of these kiddos. 

She opens the fridge a million times a day, loves her bath over cleaning up after herself, and wants to watch television, instead of doing her homework.  She is determined to get her way, loves to see herself in the mirror all dressed up, and if I say “no”, she acts like she can’t hear me.  And my favorite, she gets the giggles and can't stop them once they start.  She is so much like all the kids I know.  It cracks me up when I recognize it because there have been times in the past where I feared she was different, only to be reminded I am wrong.  She communicates differently, but she is nothing less than typical!    

I am excited and happy recognizing who Alyssa is and who she is becoming.  One of the most beautiful parts to all of this, my life is starting to feel more typical too.  For the first time in years, I am seeking employment and excited as could be about gaining it.  Those days of the past are truly in the past.  Alyssa is transforming, changing, learning, growing, healthy, loving, beautiful, spirited, silly and fun.  I am so blessed!

Thank you for reading and have a great week!  Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment